- Why is Cyber Security important to the aviation industry?
The global aviation system’s safety and security is vulnerable to attacks on its information and data systems. Nowadays hackers, cyber criminals, “hacktivists” and terrorists are focused on malicious intent, theft of information, profit and disruption.
As one of the most complex and integrated systems of information and communications technology (ITC) in the world, the global aviation system is a potential target for a big cyber-attack, or an attack on its elements. Possible impacts of a cyber-attack range from endangering the safety of an aircraft to affecting operational reliability, financial health and business continuity.
With the modern and fast integration of new technologies the aviation industry is becoming more and more inter-connected and dependent on systems. As technologies speedily evolve however, the threats can do too. Without the appropriate cyber security measures to address this growing threat, civil aviation will be at risk.
- What are the adopted decisions made by the aviation groups involved in governance?
Each nation state should, in accordance with the risk assessment carried out by its relevant national authorities, ensure that measures are developed in order to protect critical information and communications technology systems used for civil aviation purposes from interference that may jeopardize the safety of air travel.
- What are the greatest cyber security challenges for the aviation industry?
- Compliance testing must ensure all the system components, both independently and as complete systems, are safe from compromise.
- Critical systems should be tested by external and independent companies that have demonstrated expertise in cyber security
- Any company working in the aviation industry should raise awareness among their employees regarding the importance of cyber threats. It is critical to promote a proactive cyber security culture in accordance with recommendations from certified aviation authorities.
- Every aviation related company should identify any cyber security vulnerabilities and implement measures to remediate them.
- Implement stronger cyber security internal policies within the company.
- Why is real time connectivity on airplanes increasing the opportunities for a cyber-attack?
Increases in communication between people and devices in the aviation sector, the rise of computing performance, and the proliferation of software systems, are mandating a more thorough, actionable-intelligence (data) based approach to addressing cyber threats.
More pervasive use of computer-based systems –sophisticated air navigation systems, on-board aircraft control and communication systems, airport ground systems including flight information and security screening, day-to-day data management systems – are increasing the risks throughout the Aviation Industry.
At the same time, industry-agnostic cyber threats (computer viruses, malicious attacks, etc. ) continue to affect us all.
With the increasing number of travelers, the creation of new modern airports, the introduction of more complex aircraft, plus advances in aviation-based IT, entertainment and computer-based systems, these risks are compounding exponentially.
- What measures are airlines taking to prevent, detect and react to cyber threats?
Key elements of attack prevention include:
1. The board of directors play a critical role
2. Institute proactive Cyber Security awareness training that includes current and prospective of global threats and prevention best practices
3. Debating, socialising then formalising industry standards
4. Mitigating risks from supply chain, parts, and third-party vendors
1. Predictive monitoring networks and IT systems
2. Protecting customer and operational data
3. Mitigating insider threats
1. Notify customers, regulators and other stakeholders as soon as a breach has been identified
2. Collect forensic data to address unresolved security shorcomings
3. Limit damage caused by potential future security breaches
4. Leverage state-of-the-art prevention methods like UEBA